At the exit from Bijeljina, three kilometers towards Pavlovic’s bridge, Ethno Village “Stanišići” is located. Ethno Village “Stanišići” out of our time and space, takes us back to nature and ancestors, and making us admire the simplicity of life in ancient times. Here you
can rest your eyes and soul, become nobler, and wiser by listening murmuring of streams and watermill. Ethno Village “Stanisici” was founded in 2003, thanks to the inspiration of Boris Stanisic. He spent more than several years visiting villages of central Bosnia
searching for old houses and objects that would keep alive the memory of time and way of life from the end of 19th and early 20th century. The result is an authentic mountain village in the middle Semberia plain.
The village has two sections. One section shows a daily life of common people and is made of wood. It consists of wooden houses – chalets with furniture that belonged to them for centuries. Houses are connected by stone-paved paths, and there are two lakes in the center of the village.
The second section has spiritual character, with the medieval architecture built in stone, which is actually a set of replicas of historical and religious importance. The village has its mill, dairy, blacksmith workshop, stone well, barn and authentic wooden houses equipped with authentic furniture and national costumes.
The mill was made in 1937 and is still in use as well as a watermill from 1917 which still grinds flour for muffins that are served in the restaurant. Inside the watermill there is everything necessary to a miller to stay in it during the season of grain grinding. There is a dairy from 1948. This is a small building for milk processing and storage of dairy products with all related wooden vessels. Dairies were well ventilated and clean and only women who were working there could have the access.
All buildings in this section are located near the lakes and a stream that meanders between them and are interconnected by stone paths. Fresh water flows from the spring around the village symbolizing the spring of life, existence and duration.
The spiritual section brings us back even deeper into the past and is made up of replicas of objects from different places marked by Orthodox Christianity. The secular part of the village is connected by a large stone bridge which is a replica of the Goat Bridge in Sarajevo. After passing over the bridge there is the Baptistery building which is modeled after a small church that exists in Alaska.